Thursday, September 23, 2010

Changes



I love changes, I really do. Put me in a routine of any kind and I'll feel like I'm dying a slow death of A.B Vajpayee talking as Himesh Reshammiya wails in the background. Mix things up a bit and I'm good to go. To make matters somewhat uncomfortable for me, I JUST CANNOT DEAL WITH CHANGES. It's simply not in my biological coding to adjust to changes in the right manner. Oh and did I mention that my life is filled with twists and turns?

Whenever any change takes place in my life, my body reflexively releases what I call Psycho Hormones(PH). Whether the change is for the better or for the worse, my PH factor goes close to infinite and I end up making a mountain out of a speck of dust. My brain somehow cannot register the fact that this too shall pass. Oh no. Instead it goes on an all out rampage, "AAAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!! MUST!!! COPE!!!!".

Consider my previous two blog entries. I rant on and on about some unanticipated events. I was clueless as to how I was supposed to deal with them and then I went ballistic. Not once did I stop to think that maybe all this could work out for the better. Perhaps this might not be the end of the world as I know it. Heck, I even remember my mom trying to pacify me in the hospital, "Sometimes things go horribly wrong before they become perfect. For all you know, you might meet your friends sooner than you expect and with good reason.". Her words ended up being prophetic.

Right now, I'm at a very interesting place in my life. There are at least three different options in front of me. For now, I'll be going back (from The Land of Nothingness - Cochin) to Bangalore (The Land of EVERYTHING) to do something useful with all the free time at hand. Guess who I'll be meeting there? Yup, most of the friends I couldn't bid a farewell to. And cookies for anyone who figures out who I'll be staying with. =D

Five years ago, my life was going through all kinds of metamorphosis and I had no idea as to how to deal with all the things that were going on around me. So I tried to handle all the changes in the most efficient manner ever - I sulked. During a cribbing session while I was whining away to one of my then friends (now one of my best friends), she gave me some golden, goooolden advice, "Max, the only thing permanent in life is change.". Hmmm... Food for thought. Boring vegetarian food for thought. Tastes terrible but so good for you. =/ Apparently cribbing day-in and day-out wasn't the most effective way to cope in such situations (who knew?!)

With experience and age (Way to go, Max. Make yourself sound like an ancient granny.), I've figured out that change is indeed irritating essential. We may or may not see its significance immediately. We may or may not want it. But we certainly need it. The sooner we accept that, the better it works out for us. People walk in and out of our lives all the time. Sometimes we don't adapt immediately when a loved one leaves, we take our time to heal and to understand that the show must go on. At the other end of the spectrum, there are times we find that befriending a new person might be a little taxing but eventually that person steps right in making you wonder why life didn't introduce you to them sooner. Appreciating the challenges that change brings with it is by itself something that makes us stronger and more prepared. So no matter how high your PH factor is, if you confront the change head-on, you become content (and sane) that much more quickly. Besides, why would one want to be stuck in a boring old rut anyway?

Basically, this time around I feel a little more prepared to handle whatever life throws at me. Should I work now? Will I end up doing my Master's immediately? Or horror of all horrors, will I get married?!?!?! Well, whatever does end up happening, I think I can look forward to it bringing new episodes in my life that will teach me some optimism. After the last few months with all that had happened (things chronicled here and otherwise) I honestly didn't think I could be positive about my life in general. I don't care about what Murphy had to say. I'm ready. Bring on the changes, life. =)

2 comments:

  1. I'm one of those people who loves change. When things settle down into a constancy, the monotony hits me and I actually hope for a positive change! Guess it comes from being a person who gets bored of thing very fast.
    Generally speaking however I think we must all try to be less rigid in accepting (unexpected) changes that come upon us...and of course try and embrace the harmless ones. Coz as you said change will keep happening whether we like it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, we just gotta take change in our stride. I think that's the only way we can try to view *any* kinda change as a positive one. =) Personally, that's easier said than done because if it's something I reeeaaallly like, I'll make my soft, cushy, comfort-zone there and later find it very difficult to shift my lazy bum from that spot. =P

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.